Fletcher Elementary School is located in Aurora Colorado, approximately a mile south of Interstate 70 from the Havana exit. Like much of the Denver Metropolitan area, our community has grown tremendously over the course of just a few years. In order to meet the demanding needs of parents and students in our community, Fletcher Elementary was built during winter, spring and summer of 2000. On September 25, 2000, Fletcher Elementary School opened its doors.
Donald F. Fletcher was born in Coburg, Canada, in 1849. He moved to Chicago when he was seventeen to finish high school. He attended the University of New York, Knox College, and Union Seminary where he graduated as a Presbyterian minister. He spoke seven languages.
In 1879, he came to Colorado and worked as a clerk for the Denver Rio Grande Railroad until 1881. He opened a real estate office and became a very successful developer. He developed some of the area around present day Chessman Park with some of Denver's finest mansions. He built a large mansion at 1575 Grant Street that was so large that it had a bowling alley and a swimming pool in the basement.
In 1888, he was elected president of the Denver Chamber of Commerce. He was also president of the Denver Board of Immigration, Colfax Avenue Railway, and Fairmount Cemetery. He built homes on Galena (Hathaway), Dallas, and Chester streets. Some can still be seen today. He incorporated the town of "Fletcher" on May 1, 1891.
In 1893, Mr. Fletcher lost his money in the "Silver Panic." He left the area and headed west. The Town of Fletcher officially changed to the name "Aurora" in 1907. Fletcher Elementary will be in the boundary of the original town of Fletcher. When incorporated the boundaries were Yosemite to Peoria and from Sixth Avenue to Twenty Sixth Avenue.
Third Grade Social Studies Unit: Aurora: Do you call it home? (1982)
McFadden, Carl & McFadden, Leona Early Aurora (1978)
Halaas, David Fairmount and Historical Colorado (1976)